[Sca-cooks] Chinese duck eggs and other items at our oriental market

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Feb 21 20:31:58 PST 2007

On 2/21/07, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I had saved your previous comments about steaming the sausages. I
> like the idea of just setting them on the steaming rice. One, I'm not
> sure right now where my steamer is, and secondly I find plain rice to
> be rather tasteless and if there is enough juice from these sausages
> it will help flavor the rice. I like the omelette idea as well
> although I think the plumper sausage might be better there than the
> dried one.

Umm, Stefan-

Cooking rice IS steaming it, whether you do it in a saucepan or in a
steamer. If you look at rice after you've cooked it without stirring,
it has a number of craters in the surface. That's basicly from steam
bursting out.

To cook rice A's way, all you need do is place 2 waters to 1 rice in a
saucepan and cover. Cook on low heat. When it's close to done, pop the
sausage in on top. Do you slice it, A?

I like to add butter when I cook rice- it sinks to the bottom, and if
it accidently overcooks a bit, it fries rather than burns.

But, you can do all sorts of things to flavor rice. You can start by
getting one of the better rices, like jasmine, my favorite. I also
like brown rice, for the nutty flavor. But, you can also through
bouillion cubes in with the water when you set up the pan to cook. Or,
throwing some veggies in works.

Trick is to either keep it on a very low heat for a while (about 20
minutes or half an hour) or to boil the water, throw the rice in,
cover and turn the heat down to low. Avoid opening the pot to see how
cooked it is- you let all the steam out and slow everything down. Just
set it up, and check it when you think it should be done. The butter
in the pan helps keep things tasty if you screw up ;-)

> I don't remember the prices I paid for these packages, but I'm
> wondering if these might be a good source for dried sausages for
> events when I don't want to deal with an ice chest, rather than
> imported Italian or whatever ones.
>
>    Stefan

Likely would be, if you like the flavor. Any dried sausage will keep
well, and there are so many out there, that you can pretty well pick
and choose your preferred flavors.

Myself, I'd like it if while you're looking around, you could try to
find out what types of dried sausages your Mexican neighbors use.
While I like the Chorizo and others you've brought up to Pennsic, I'm
figuring they ought to have some great dried ones.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard