[Sca-cooks] Sausages - cured and dried

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 22 05:46:33 PST 2007

Most cured and dried sausages are fine outside of
refrigeration as long as the ambient temperature
doesn't get too high.  You can tell if the sausage
isn't happy if the fats start melting.  That's main
reason #1 for the refrigeration label.

Main reason #2 is as a cured and dried sausage is left
out the casing begins to grow molds, usually a variant
of candidum - the white fluffy stuff.  Today's unsavvy
consumer tends to shy away from moldy sausages for
some reason.  What they don't know is that a quick
rub-down with vinegar and a coating of oil will get
rid of the mold and give the casing a somewhat
air-tight barrier for a few days.  Make sure you use a
good quality oil and only use a stronger flavored one
if you intend on adding that flavor to the sausage.

As for a good selection of cured and dried sausages
for camping events?  Try these:
Fra Mani makes an excellent dry salami, these are my
favorites - Salametto, Toscano, and Gentile (also
known as Genoa).
There is a lovely german dried sausage called
Landyeager.
Some additional italian dried sausages: Sopressata,
Finocchiona, Salametti (just a small dried italian
sausage), Coppa, Coppa Veneziana, Pancetta.

These are all available online or if you have a good
market nearby (I believe you do, Stefan) you should be
able to order it from the Deli.  Most deli managers
are happy to bring in special order items as long as
it's on their corporate buy-list.

Eibhlin

> Thanks. I thought I could tell if either of these
> two packages was
> "Lop cheung", so I went and pulled them out of the
> refrigerator. I
> remember you using that name previously. However,
> neither package is
> very descriptive. Perhaps they say "Lop cheung" in
> Chinese
> characters, but in English they say only "Extra Lean
> Chinese Style
> Sausage" and "Chinese Style Sweet Sausage. Made with
> Pork and
> Chicken". The first sausages remind me of some of
> the dried sausages
> I've seen from Europe with a wrinkled, dried
> surface. In the second
> package the sausages are shorter and plumper
> looking. However, both
> packages do have "Refrigerate After Opening" on
> them. Since both
> these are still sealed this gives me further
> assurance that they are
> safe to eat.

=== message truncated ===