[Sca-cooks] philosophical salad question

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Feb 22 08:28:40 PST 2007

Bless you, Helewyse! That's a wonderful resource. Any idea how it
compares to Castelvetro?

> Depends?  Now for 16th century Italian food, salads turn up just about every dinner in the first course, along with such other foods not eaten in the north such as raw fruit.  They are listed in just about every dinner menu made from any number of interesting things.  In addition there is a book
> Archidipno overo dell'insalata e dell'vso di essa ... / da Saluatore Massonio ...
> In Venetia : appresso Marc'Antonio Brogiollo ..., 1627.
> Which only talks about salads and it's free online at dioscoredes:
> http://alfama.sim.ucm.es/dioscorides/consulta_libro.asp?ref=B20397215&idioma=0

> Parsnips, ramps, beet root, cress, turnip, radishes,  sprouts, fennel,
asparagus, truffles, lettuce, endive, chicory, rocket,  nasturtium,
borage, lemon balm, beans, cauliflower, peas, squash, and  a whole bunch
of herbs.

Sprouts? What kind of Sprouts? Turnip greens or root? Fresh beans, or
bean tendrils? Nasturtium! Wow!