[Sca-cooks] listing of ingredients...

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 25 16:01:31 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
< < < < <   All we want to do is put together a period feast filled with
foods that everyone will at least try.  I didn't realize that there would be
acrobatic hoop jumping....lol.

  Thank you for letting me rant...and I would appreciate your ideas as to
how best display all of my ingredients.

Kimberley D. Lee
Lady Aoife inghean ui hEaluighthe > > > > > >

I little more esoteric answer is from my more personal orthodoxy.  I find
that there is no more personal and intimate trust than for people to allow
me to prepare a meal that they will put into their bodies and allow family
to put into their bodies. Their is great risk and great trust involved in
their eating what I prepare.  I take that trust very seriously and as a high
responsibility.  It is not unlike a 1400's noble trusting the cook and staff
in the atmosphere of assassination and treachery.  Add tothat the fact that
some, if not many, are spending very hard earned dollars, that they have
spent part of their lives earning, in order to eat the meal I and my staff
are preparing.

To that viewpoint, I do whatever is possible to display to the diners
anything and everything I can reasonably do to show my respect and
appreciation for that trust.  By making the experience as transparent and
completely informed as possible, I assure them of my integrity and intention
to protect their health and investment.  While my execution of the dishes
may not always be perfection, my effort and committment are documented as
well as possible.

I do the menu and recipe books as an additional value to those interested.
Sure, maybe 25 or 30 people ever take the books.  But they are open and free
to any who want them (the cost of production is my responsibility, not in
feast budget).  I figure that if I am going to ask others to make occasional
efforts to challenge themselves top present more accurate recipes and dishes
at events and finctions, then the least I can do is provide materials for
them to use.  I can also provide easily accessible information to buddinfg
prospective cooks who just need a spark to see how it can be done.  Who
knows if it has helped or not?  I just know it is worth the effort as I see
my OPPORTUNITY to make an impact and contribution.  I choose to seize that
opportunity to add to the culture we try to promote.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco
(yeah, cookery and food are a more spiritual thing for me on top of the job)