[Sca-cooks] listing of ingredients...

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Sun Feb 25 16:51:03 PST 2007

Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:

>Is [posting ingredient lists online] a common practice in the North?>>
>
>Yes.  And in my opinion it is a necessary thing to do.  There are  tremendous
>numbers of people in the SCA with potentially deadly food  allergies.  And
>while it might seem that these people would contact the  cooks ahead of time and
>let you know about their allergies, in my experience it  seldom happens.  I
>can count on one hand the number of people who have  contacted me ahead of time
>about food allergies, and I have been cooking in the  SCA for at least 10
>years.  I know lots of people who have food allergies  that I routinely alert to
>the presence of whatever their allergen is in the  food; I have also had a
>number of people ask me as the dishes are served which  ones contain their
>allergen.

YMMV.  It's normal practice here to let the Steward or Cook know whether
you have any special food issues when booking.

>In my experience, true "picky eaters" don't taste much of anything that  they
>aren't already familiar with.

Quite.  More fool them.

I've never had a person with allergies or intolerances try to tell me
what I should or shouldn't cook.  They're used to having to be a bit
careful and and are generally quite undemanding-- consequently, they are
the people I'm willing to make the biggest allowances and modifications
for.  Ditto diabetics.  I've occasionally had a little grief from one or
two vegetarians, and fussy eaters can be a pain.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?