[Sca-cooks] listing of ingredients

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 06:03:48 PST 2007

Is [posting ingredient lists online] a common practice in the North?>>

Pretty much.  My standard is always to have a website with more information on it than is strictly needed. But that is for my peace of mind and the education of others.  For an example of what I mean see http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/TOCfeast.html
Original recipes in Italian, English translation and a redacted recipe.
For my last feast I came up with this disclaimer:
A note about allergies: if you have food allergies or  concerns I strongly advise you to check the menu and recipes carefully before  deciding whether to attend the feast.  If given sufficient notice alternatives may be made available to you, dependent upon labor considerations.   Please contact me with questions.

Which says in essence, while we may accommodate your needs I may not be able to, it is your responsibility to make sure that the food I am cooking will not kill you.

On the other side I try to balance out the major allergens throughout the feast: nuts, dairy, wheat. So that in any given course there are options available without the need to cook special allergy free dishes.

Helewyse