[Sca-cooks] listing of ingredients...

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Wed Feb 28 10:56:27 PST 2007

Tallan Family wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Adele de Maisieres wrote:
>

>>> I don't not post recipes/ingredients because I don't want people to eat
>>> safely.  I don't want people to use an ingredients list alone to decide
>>> what they can eat.  I want them to contact me before the feast so that
>>> can either do what it takes to ensure that they get a good meal without
>>> allergy problems or recommend other arrangements.
>>>

> That works if you have people who feel comfortable asking for special
> treatment. I know several people who are uncomfortable in doing so.
> They don't want to contact the cook and say that they are vegetarian or
> have problems with ingredient x, with the perhaps unstated implication
> that they are looking for alternative dishes to be cooked especially
> for them. What they would prefer, is to be confident that the menu will
> be sufficiently diverse that they can skip a dish or three and still
> get a reasonable meal from the remainder. And generally they can.

They don't have to ask for anything.  We just say in event advertising
that people should mention any dietary issues when booking.  They have
to book, so they have to call or email the steward regardless.  And
honestly, this has been an absolute non-issue.  Everyone knows the
drill, and this works.
> Having a menu posted with ingredients allows them to make an informed
> decision. If the information isn't available, they won't be calling the
> cook - they'll be going off board. Maybe the feast would have been
> great for them, but they won't know that (except, perhaps, after the
> fact).

We don't normally even have an off-board option.  I could count the
number of requests for off-board I've heard of in the last eight years
on the fingers of one hand.
> I'm not saying they are right or wrong in this. It's just what they do.

*shrug*
Maybe that's what they do in your neck of the woods, but not here.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?