[Sca-cooks] Period Shrimp sauce

rattkitten rattkitten at hughes.net
Fri Feb 2 17:43:44 PST 2007

Here try this.... Also from Goode Cookery Website...
However check the Documentation.... BTW Yeah it's good but yeah it is
Just Vinegar...

Nichola

"Shrympes

PERIOD: England, 15th century | SOURCE: Harleian MS 4016 | CLASS: Authentic

ORIGINAL RECEIPT:

Shrympes.  Take Shrympes, and seth hem in water and a litull salt, and
lete hem boile ones or a litull more. And serue hem forthe colde; And no
maner sauce but vinegre.

- Austin, Thomas. Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books. Harleian MS. 279
& Harl. MS. 4016, with extracts from Ashmole MS. 1429, Laud MS. 553, &
Douce MS 55. London: for The Early English Text Society by N. Trübner &
Co., 1888.

GODE COOKERY TRANSLATION:

Take shrimps, and boil them in water and a little salt, and let them
boil once or a little more. And serve them forth cold; And no manner
sauce but vinegar.

INGREDIENTS:

    * Fresh shrimp - cleaned.
    * Salted water
    * Red wine vinegar

DIRECTIONS:

Boil shrimp in salted water until done; remove from water and let cool.
Serve cold with vinegar as a dipping sauce.

Not very exciting... (I cooked it I can say that.) But it was well
received!!!
Nichola