[Sca-cooks] Period Flour Query and shortbread

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Feb 9 09:25:53 PST 2007

Catherine Brown who writes about Scottish foods
has notes in her books that indicate the rice flour makes
the cake more crunchy and is used with strong flours.
The goal is to make the cake or bread more short, ie crisp or more
easily crumbled.
Elizabeth Cleland's A New and Easy Method of Cookery from 1755 contains a
recipe labeled "To make Short Bread" but it like some in Hannah Woolley
contain
ale barm as a rising agent.

Johnnae