[Sca-cooks] Cakes with paste very short

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 9 10:07:14 PST 2007

Greetings!  These recipes would make an interesting weekend's challenge to bake and see how close they come to what we think of as shortbread.  I've read through the Florilegium file that Stefan noted and saw that some of the period sources included ingredients that we don't consider part of shortbread today, specifically yeast and eggs.  What is your collective opinion of a modern shortbread which would include yeast and eggs?  Would it still be called "shortbread"?

His Grace Cariadoc wondered in one of those posts about the proportions of flour, sugar and butter in period and mused as to whether folk were letting their modern concept affect the relative proportions in their modernized adaptations.  It would be interesting to make a chart or a comparison of the ingredients of those period "cakes with paste very short" with the ingredients in modern "Scottish" shortbread.  My very quick scan of modern cookery books and those in the Florilegium would seem to indicate that there are some differences that might preclude the period result from being equal to modern shortbread.

Alys Katharine, concerned that she's being fussy