[Sca-cooks] Period Flour Query and shortbread

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Feb 9 10:31:31 PST 2007

>There are two or three period recipes (all late 15th C) which are
>very similar to what most people think of as shortbread. The ones I
>know of are all, I believe, English.

Looking at the Floriligium entry you cite, I note:

1. They are late 16th c., not lat 15th c.

2. They aren't all that much like short bread, at least as I know it.
They are spiced, they, or at least one of them, suggest using cream
rather than butter, and the way the recipe is put at least suggests
quite a lot less sugar than butter and flour, whereas in modern
shortbread recipes I believe quantities of butter and sugar are
similar.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com