[Sca-cooks] Things that are like other things (WAS RE: Okay, it's that time again...)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 11 20:21:00 PST 2007

On Feb 11, 2007, at 10:37 PM, Mike C. Baker wrote:

>> 	Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp Rolls -- the cheating dim sum version
>
> Which reminds me, Adamantius et al.:
>
> How does this differ from rumaikis / roumakee / similar?
>
> And yes, I've had at least three different variations that all claimed
> the Roumaki name -- not any of which were all that similar, and no two
> of which were even equal in terms of ingredients.  Most include
> bacon of
> some form, two were with shrimp, two with probably chicken liver, and
> the first / best was breaded over bacon-wrapped chicken liver and then
> deep-fried, although none of the rest have been breaded, or anything
> more than sautéed.

I always assumed rumaki was originally a Japanese thing; Wikipedia
says it's Hawaiian; the earliest variants I believe I encountered
were chicken liver and bacon, water chestnut and bacon, and liver and
water chestnuts, with bacon, rolled up and skewered, marinated in soy
sauce, and broiled or grilled.

Cantonese bacon-wrapped shrimp are a relative of the standard modern
Chinese-American Butterfly Shrimp with Bacon, but also of a variety
of stuffed seafood dishes that involve a shellfish of some sort (say,
an oyster), sitting in a black mushroom cap, topped with a stuffing
suitable for wontons or other filled dumplings, wrapped in caul fat,
rolled in cornstarch or dipped in batter, and deep-fried. One variant
is a large shrimp, split and butterflied, filled with a wonton-type
stuffing mixture, wrapped in either caul fat or bacon, rolled in
cornstarch, and deep-fried.

We've done these before, and they're magnificent, but for a large
group, they're kind of hard to fry -- because they're stuffed, they
take longer to cook, and when you are frying three or four at a time
in a wok with people peering over your shoulder for the entertainment
value, and to pounce on the finished shrimp when cooked, it's easy to
miscalculate and leave them with raw centers.

Probably the thing to do, when making them in quantity, is to fry
them once, then either finish/reheat them in the oil before serving,
or finish them on a cookie sheet in the oven.

The other thing to do is make them smaller, which is kind of
difficult and messy, so what dim sum houses in my area have been
doing for about the past 20 years is making the stuffing from shrimp,
water chestnuts, a little pork fat for moisture, ginger, scallion,
and corn starch, and roll that in a half-slice of bacon, giving a
cylinder roughly 3/4 inch in diameter and an inch in height. This is
what we'll be doing for New Year's.

For some reason, they are traditionally served in restaurants with
some pretty fake mayonnaise; I'm wondering if this is an application
of English Salad Cream in Hong Kong: this is a slightly thin,
slightly sweet, very lemony version of mayonnaise. They just call it
Lemon Sauce, but it's nothing like the Lemon Sauce that is sometimes
used as a variant on sweet-and-sour sauce.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04