[Sca-cooks] Help with a sallat from Markham?

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 04:53:24 PST 2007

Well, I think that the olive question is open to
interpretation.

Firstly, the longer an olive stays on the tree the
darker it gets; i.e., a green olive is young, bronzy
reddish is middle aged, and dark brown or black is
old.  So, they could be referring to a black olive.

Second, if it is aged in brine it could be considered
old.

Third, if it is sundried (to make it the dry type) it
could be preserved longer as well.  The sundried,
often called Morrocan, are lightly tossed in olive oil
and sometimes flavored with spices.

You could do a sample dish of all three types to see
what kind of flavor you'd get and which you prefer,
but I'd be happy documentation-wise with a choice from
any of the above - given the reasoning of course.

Eibhlin

<snip>