[Sca-cooks] flour experimentation

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Feb 13 06:36:43 PST 2007

The one main advantage about King Arthur is that they are
nationally marketed. People can order their specialty flours
from anyplace in the country. They are a known commodity.
You may want to test King Arthur
flours because people in the future when they look at your results
are going to ask, "What about KA flours? How do those compare?"

I don't know that the recipe collections are the best or only source of
material
on this subject, especially on the descriptions of flours.
I suspect that works like Maison rustique, or
The countrey farme¨ Compyled in the French tongue by Charles Steuens,
and Iohn Liebault, Doctors of Physicke.
And translated into English by Richard Surflet, published in various
editions
as early as 1600 (also 1606 and 1616) in England but based
upon a work printed in the 1560's in France might be valuable.
Our old friend Geruase Markham was responsible for part of the 1616
English edition.
Grains such as fine wheat or winter wheat, corse wheat-flowre or fine
wheat-meal are discussed. Chapter XX is all breads. Chapter XXI is
the diverse types of breads and what breads must be eaten.

There are a number of other works. Thomas Moffett also springs to mind.
It was written
in the 1590's but wasn't printed until 1655. Moffett died in 1604.
Chapter 25 of
Moffett's  Healths Improvement is titled "Of the Variety, Excellency,
Making and True
Use of Bread."

Hope this helps,

Johnnae