[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP From today's NY Times Food section...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 14 20:07:17 PST 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 10:45 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

>> That situation sounds dreamy, but many beta cooks say that the
>> alphas in their lives are not the most patient tutors. Amy Sedaris,
>> author of ?I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence,? says that
>> whenever alphas and betas cook together, the alpha?s internal
>> monologue goes something like this: ?Stop bothering me with your
>> questions. I don?t have time to show you how to chop an onion. If
>> you can?t chop an onion, get out of my kitchen.?
>
> Oh my. That's how I've felt in some SCA feast kitchens and especially
> at local Cook's Guild meetings. I guess I am a "beta" cook.

In honesty, I'm probably inclined toward alpha-cook-dom, but I do
make a conscious effort to teach people how to chop that onion, and
many people have told me they like to work in my kitchens because
they come away having learned some cool trick or other (not always
from me). They do keep coming back...

As for my home situation, it's not quite as bad as the situation
described in the article -- it could be, perhaps, but it never has
been. Usually what happens is one or the other of us cooks, but not
both, and part of it is probably some sort of territoriality, but
also an acknowledgment of the fact that when we were first married,
we had a _really_ tiny kitchen. Two restaurant workers, used to
setting everything up within reach and planting their feet in place
for a couple of hours without moving, could work side by side. It
looked a little like the workers turning those huge dials/clock hands
in Fritz Lang's "Metropolis". Our current apartment is larger, and
the kitchen is, too, but it's still something of a dance for two people.

In general, if Chinese food is being prepared, my wife frequently
handles it, while I either do something unrelated or remain within
call to deal with jars with tight lids, cutting up hard vegetables
like winter melon, etc. For New Year's cookery, we plan the menu and
shopping list together, parcel out jobs, and work both together and
in sequence until it's close to meal time, especially if there are
several guests, at which time she definitely has the edge for setting
up platters and table settings, which job I'm pretty terrible at.

The one alpha-ish statement I'll make about my wife's cooking, which
is excellent, is that she and I can prepare an identical meal, but it
takes me a third of the time, and there's a smaller mound of dirty
dishes and utensils. Sue me. ;-)

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04