[Sca-cooks] medieval medicine, spices, and this blasted cold

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Feb 17 09:23:34 PST 2007

Boomerang crud is a *very* good name for it.  It took me most of a month to
recover, and I'm *never* that sick.  I think the fatigue was the worst part,
that and the timing, since I was just starting to come down with it when I
went to An Tir for Lainie's laurelling (and in fact, at first thought it was
travel stress).  I had it all during the holidays.  I squeeked like I'd
inhaled helium for almost a week at one point! Heck, I still cough and
sneeze in the mornings, although not as bad as before.
It didn't affect too many of my co-workers, but was pretty wide-spread in
town (spotty, but wide-spread).  I figure it's nasty, and everywhere, but
that not everyone was susceptible to it.
My usual treatments for waiting it out involve rest, when I need it, and
lots of liquids.  I also really seem to crave Vitamin C, so I indulged in a
lot of capsicum peppers, citrus fruit, etc.  I don't have problems with
garlic (I'm kinda fond of the stuff, really ;o), so favored foods included
anything Thai (especially Chicken Peanut Curry...mmmm), my auld chicken soup
recipe, etc.  Beverages I recommend include this wonderful lemon-ginger tea
I found in Boise at a CostPlus (it's a Twinings blend, which I first
encountered in England, and can't get locally).  Also, on the very worst
days, when my throat was raw and I couldn't sleep, I resorted to my friend
Steve's wife's recipe--hot, strong black tea with honey, lemon, and a slug
of bourbon or Irish whiskey.  ;o)