[Sca-cooks] Ni Tsan's "Cloud Forest Hall Rules For Eating AndDrinking"...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 20 05:26:53 PST 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 6:35 AM, Craig Jones wrote:

>> Those brewing recipes are badly garbled--Francoise and I agree
>> on that!  They got scrambled in transmission, evidently when
>> the book was just ms.  They might be reconstructable, but I
>> wouldn't bother.
>
> I kinda of figured that they were badly mangled.  Although when you
> have a
> look at the rice wine recipe it (although still mangled) seems to
> hint at
> methods of fermentation with Fungi (Aspergillius Oryzae mainly).
> The Mung
> bean wine pretty much took the ingredients as inspiration.
>
> In the case of Mung Bean wine it was a mash using mung beans (with
> enough
> barley to add sufficient Amylase) or cooked mung beans (infected
> with Koji
> (Aspergillius Oryzae) - although I haven't got this to work) and
> then the
> resultant liquor has various ingredients instilled (such as muskmelon,
> cassia, smartweed, etc.)

In cleaning our home for the Lunar New Year, I moved a bunch of boxes
and located my copy of PPC 61, with Francoise Sabban's comments on
the CFHR article that had been in PPC 60; he says the mung bean wine
recipe is in fact a recipe for the yeast culture used to make wine.
I'm not sure I buy this, though, given the quantities involved.

BTW, I tacked the Sabban notes from PPC 61 onto the end of the pdf I
had made of the CFHR article in PPC 60. I figured that was the
simplest way to make sure the material didn't get presented, even
accidentally, based on one article and not the other. Anyone needing
a copy of the complete version, please let me know and I'll send it
out. It's still a surprisingly small file size for a pdf.

> Ps. Who needed the CFHR redactions again, brains all fuzzy???
> Pps. Have recovered from the hospital trip and am feeling rather
> grand, if a
> bit tired... Nighty night all...

That was Jaji, who, I'm pretty sure, is not on this list. Having
indicated for years that period food is fun and all, but that serious
study might get in the way of partying, and having been informed by a
gracious Crown of its intention to elevate him to him Arms Patent,
_now_ he suddenly wants to start paying more attention to the study
of period food with something easy, like medieval Chinese ;-).

If you want to send such articles to me, I can forward them, or I can
just give him your address and he can introduce himself and all...

Many thanks again!

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04