[Sca-cooks] Chinese duck eggs and other items at our oriental market

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 21 20:02:48 PST 2007

Adamantius answered a number of my questions and said this about the
sausages I bought:
<<< Lop cheung are pretty indestructible, almost like jerky. Not only
are
the packs sealed, but they don't have mush moisture at all, being
cured with salt, sugar, and grain alcohol, usually. Steam them over a
pot of rice (just lay them on top of the rice after most of the water
has cooked away, and the fat and juices drip down and flavor the rice
as they reheat), slice and frizzle up in an omelette, or use as a
meat for fried rice. >>>

Thanks. I thought I could tell if either of these two packages was
"Lop cheung", so I went and pulled them out of the refrigerator. I
remember you using that name previously. However, neither package is
very descriptive. Perhaps they say "Lop cheung" in Chinese
characters, but in English they say only "Extra Lean Chinese Style
Sausage" and "Chinese Style Sweet Sausage. Made with Pork and
Chicken". The first sausages remind me of some of the dried sausages
I've seen from Europe with a wrinkled, dried surface. In the second
package the sausages are shorter and plumper looking. However, both
packages do have "Refrigerate After Opening" on them. Since both
these are still sealed this gives me further assurance that they are
safe to eat.

I had saved your previous comments about steaming the sausages. I
like the idea of just setting them on the steaming rice. One, I'm not
sure right now where my steamer is, and secondly I find plain rice to
be rather tasteless and if there is enough juice from these sausages
it will help flavor the rice. I like the omelette idea as well
although I think the plumper sausage might be better there than the
dried one.

I don't remember the prices I paid for these packages, but I'm
wondering if these might be a good source for dried sausages for
events when I don't want to deal with an ice chest, rather than
imported Italian or whatever ones.

    Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas