[Sca-cooks] philosophical salad question

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 22 15:10:37 PST 2007

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa wrote:
>  > Parsnips, ramps, beet root, cress, turnip, radishes,  sprouts, fennel,
>  > asparagus, truffles, lettuce, endive, chicory, rocket,  nasturtium,
>  > borage, lemon balm, beans, cauliflower, peas, squash, and  a whole bunch
>  > of herbs.
>
>Sprouts? What kind of Sprouts? Turnip greens or root? Fresh beans, or
>bean tendrils? Nasturtium! Wow!

I dunno what sprouts are "period", but radish and sunflower sprouts
are tasty and available in store around here (SF Bay area).

As for nasturtiums, i often include them in my salads. Edible flowers
are sold at the redoubtable Berkeley Bowl. Among other available
flowers are pinks/carnations (yeah, not the same thing but related)
and johnny-jump-ups/good king henry/pansies.

The one question i'd have about raw salads is what is in season in
the culture of the recipes of the feast. I'd think that in January in
what is now Germany, fresh greens would be scarce, whereas, in
southern Spain or what is now southern Italy there would be more
available.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita