[Sca-cooks] listing of ingredients...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 25 15:55:03 PST 2007

I am an Ansteorran and in recent years, I have taken to producing the menu
and recipes as a booklet that serves as the feast token as well as posting a
list of dishes with all ingredients at the kitchen and at the gate.  This
allows anyone to quickly decide whether or not they want to eat the feast,
answers most dietary concerns and permits people to determine what dishes
they want to avoid.  In my view, the practice saves my time and provides a
useful service to people at the event.

I have no objection to anyone seeing my recipes.  I provide the original
recipe, a translation if necessary, and my general adaptation of the recipe.
I record any variation in ingredients in the ingredient list and once the
feast recipe is fixed, I do not vary from the list.  This is critical, at
one feast prepared by another cook, the casual addition of a little curry
powder to a soup could have sent my wife to the hospital.  Fortunately, a
friend tasted the soup before she did and stopped her from eating it.

Since I am attempting to create period meals from preiod recipes, I make all
of my stocks and sauces from scratch.  If you don't make your own, you need
to be aware of the ingredients in the commercial products you use.

Bear