[Sca-cooks] listing of ingredients...

Tallan Family dtallan8500 at rogers.com
Wed Feb 28 04:13:06 PST 2007

On Feb 27, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Adele de Maisieres wrote:

> K C Francis wrote:
>
>> Here in the West, it is quite common for the menu distributed at the
>> feast
>> to have a *complete* list of ingredients for each dish.  And, when
>> asked
>> (read begged), the cooks always post their recipe sources and
>> recipies.  I
>> cannot understand why one would NOT want to make it possible for
>> everyone to
>> safely enjoy what they eat at a feast.
>>
> I don't not post recipes/ingredients because I don't want people to eat
> safely.  I don't want people to use an ingredients list alone to decide
> what they can eat.  I want them to contact me before the feast so that
> can either do what it takes to ensure that they get a good meal without
> allergy problems or recommend other arrangements.

That works if you have people who feel comfortable asking for special
treatment. I know several people who are uncomfortable in doing so.
They don't want to contact the cook and say that they are vegetarian or
have problems with ingredient x, with the perhaps unstated implication
that they are looking for alternative dishes to be cooked especially
for them. What they would prefer, is to be confident that the menu will
be sufficiently diverse that they can skip a dish or three and still
get a reasonable meal from the remainder. And generally they can.

Having a menu posted with ingredients allows them to make an informed
decision. If the information isn't available, they won't be calling the
cook - they'll be going off board. Maybe the feast would have been
great for them, but they won't know that (except, perhaps, after the
fact).

I'm not saying they are right or wrong in this. It's just what they do.

Respectfully,
David Tallan (SCA Thomas)