[Sca-cooks] Okay, it's that time again...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 11 18:25:08 PST 2007

...wherein I post the tentative menus for the arrival of the lunar
Year of the Boar next Saturday evening.

As in the past couple of years, we've been trying to simplify things
a bit, but as there are certain dishes more or less required for the
night of the actual new Moon, and we always try to do a minimum of
nine dishes on the first full day of the new year, we're going for
much pre-prep and sort of modular preparations.

New Year's "Eve" -- the usual suspects:

	Soup TBNL -- possibly shark fin
	Two Fried Fish and steamed lop cheung sausages (eaten the next day
but prepped before sundown, we usually make extra lop cheung and eat
some of them)
	Poached Chicken
	Plain dry-sauteed shrimp or ketchup shrimp
	Plain blanched veg -- probably bok tsoy with a little oyster sauce
drizzled on top
	Steamed rice
	Fruit -- generally oranges and lichees/longan

New Year's "Day":

	Wunhun Mein -- Wonton Noodle Soup to you...
	The Aforeseyd Fish and Lop Cheung
	Xi yu gai -- Soy-sauce Chicken
	The Other Half of the Poached Chicken
	Bean Curd "Mock" Duck (stuffed bean curd sheets, braised)
	Pei-Dan Dowfu (a.k.a. Chinese Egg Salad, wrapped in lettuce leaves)
	Kwangtung-va Chuen Guen, Or, Adamantius Revisits The Old-Fashioned
Cantonese "Egg Roll"
	Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp Rolls -- the cheating dim sum version
	Jai -- a.k.a. Buddhist Delight, mixed veg and dried mushrooms,
braised with cellophane noodles
	Twice-Cooked Pork
	Sesame Noodles (actually, sesame dressing and garnishes for those
that don't want their noodles in their wonton soup)
	Pickles: shallots, soy-pickled gherkins, shrimp pickled with
shredded green papaya, and bamboo shoots in chili oil
	Possibly another quick shrimp dish, maybe salt-baked with chilis and
five-spice
	Fruit, see above, plus cold almond-agar soup

Gung hey fat tsoy!

Adamantius