[Sca-cooks] crab and seafood recipes and children (not recipes)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 12 21:53:40 PST 2007

Marion introduced herself and asked:
<<< Well met from the Northern Most Barony of Winter's Gate in Fairbanks
Alaska!  I am new to the SCA >>>

Welcome to the SCA and to SCA-Cooks!

Since you are new to the Society, you might find it useful to look
through the files in the NEWCOMERS section in the Florilegium. If you
haven't heard of it before, it is a collection of over 2000 different
files on a number of SCA and medieval subjects. You can find the
address of the site in my sig. line below.

<<< and am fascinated with cooking, so
naturally I am going to be delving into the creation of period
dishes. >>>

There are also a number of sections in the Florilegium on beverages
and food. Most of the recipes which have been posted on this
newsgroup and much of the commentary can also be found there.

<<< SCA seemed to be the
perfect thing to encourage my children's love of Medieval stuff and
my love for anything crafty and medieval too!  >>>

The Florilegium also has a CHILDREN section which might also have
some files of interest to you.

<<< Back to my current delima of King Crab legs... how do i serve
them if
i want to prepare them period? Is there any dishes for shell fish or
any other rich seafood that I can incorporate them? >>>

You might want to check this file in the FOOD-MEATS section:
seafood-msg       (90K) 10/15/04    Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
   (I believe there are some crab recipes in this file)

These files might also be of interest for other fish and seafood:
eels-msg          (26K) 10/11/04    Eel dishes. Getting and cleaning
eels.
    (Do they have eels that far north?)
fish-msg         (140K)  4/18/05    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the
SCA.
fish-pies-msg     (11K)  5/ 3/01    Period fish pies. Recipes.

salmon-msg        (74K) 10/15/02    Period use of Salmon. Recipes.
Shrympes-art      (16K) 10/11/01    "Shrympes" by Lady Constance de
Larose.

<<< We have a challenge for
Hearts Revel this year for period food with our local food, and I
have 10 pounds of king crab just DIEING to get ate! Anyone have any
ideas?  >>>>

Pack them in dry ice and mail them down here to Texas? ;-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com