[Sca-cooks] Define Dessert? Was: dessert onions

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 28 06:45:37 PST 2007

And maybe that's what Stefan should clarify when he said:
> (snip) but does anyone know of any
>period desserts that contain onions?

Today we consider "dessert" to be the final food dishes after everything
else has been served, and the dishes are usually sweet in the US, although
they could also be fruit or cheese in other countries.  My understanding is
that "dessert" as we know it didn't exist for much of SCA's time period.
Those of you who work with non-English sources could explain the evolution
of the "dessert course" in Italy, Germany, France and/or Spain better than
I.  But, in England, sweet dishes were served in the courses along with
savory dishes and meats.  That, to me, doesn't equate with "dessert" as I
was understanding Stefan's question to be.  Certainly the "ambroyno" might
have been served in one of the courses of a meal.  Then, the meal might
have ended with spiced wine and comfits although the label "dessert"
wouldn't have been used.

In England, the final course came to resemble more what we would call
"dessert" in Tudor and Elizabethan times.  The "banquet" had the sweet
dishes that we expect as ending a meal.  So, Stefan, were you looking for
"period desserts" or "period sweet dishes" which contained onions?

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/