[Sca-cooks] Sugar and slaves

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 3 13:52:37 PST 2007

Herodotus and several other Greek writers refer to sugar as early as the 5th
Century BCE, but it is referenced as a rare medical ingredient.  Pliny, as I
recall, is referencing Nearchus's advance into India around 325 BCE.
Sometime around 500 BCE, sugarcane cultivation and sugar production began in
Mesopotamia, where it appears to have been encountered by the Arabs during
the Islamic expansion and introduced into the Mediterranean Basin.  To my
knowledge, there is no credible evidence for the claim of 3000 years of
sugar cultivation in Egypt.

Bear