[Sca-cooks] Cooking Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 3 14:36:55 PST 2007

"Joshua McCoy" <myrddin at nerdshack.com>
>In regards to what I am reading with some of the replys.  I will say
>that I will give credit where credit is do. [due]  Also I am just
>tring to learn mostly about period specific cooking.

If you want to learn about period specific cooking, you need to be
specific with us about what period you want. You can't get what you
"need" from us unless we know what you "need", and just saying
"historical recipes" is not specific enough.

There are many historical cookbooks from before 1601 (and, what the
heck, we use quite a few from the first half of the 17th C., too)
either written in English or translated into English. Among them are:
-- a cookbook written in Akkadian in cuneiforms on clay tablets
dating from about 1700 BCE
-- recipes from Classical Greece and Rome, covering from about 300
BCE to about 400 BCE
-- Anthimus's book - he was a Byzantine exiled into service of the
King of the Gauls in the 6th century CE
-- recipes from the 'Abbasid dynasty that started in Damascus and
moved to Baghdad from the 9th and 10th centuries CE
-- and there are cookbooks from all of Europe, from other parts of
the Islamic world, from India, from China, from the 13th through 17th
centuries...

My favorite "beginner" books are
"The Medieval Kitchen : Recipes from France and Italy", by Odile
Redon, Francoise Sabban, Silvano Serventi, trans. Edward Schneider,
available in paperback
and
"The Original Mediterranean Cuisine : Medieval Recipes for Today, by
Barbara Santich, also in paper - for $5 from Jessica's Biscuit
http://www.ecookbooks.com

>I am still flepen [flippin'] new to this suff [stuff] folks.  So
>please cut me some slack.

Dude, all of us were beginners once upon a time. None of us was born
full blown from the thigh or forehead of Julia Childs, knowing what
we know now. But we didn't join this list and stamp our feet and yell.

>I do understand what all of your points are.  I do not have any
>direction or clear way to ask untill [until] I know what I need.  If
>you need more information ask it in a form of a question please.

I asked quite a few questions *which you haven't answered*

I'll ask another...
-- Where do you live... the nearest major city is close enough; i'm
not trying to be nosy, just get you in touch with people on this list
near you.
(i live near San Francisco)

>I AM JUST A BEGENER [beginner] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please get some manners. You will get more help if you are polite and
specific, than if you make demands and shout at us.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita