[Sca-cooks] Seeking de Nola Information

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Jan 4 05:14:29 PST 2007

Sorry, Mairi-- it's actually from Granado, though Brighid translated and
redacted it. Here it is from my notes:

Carrot-Cheese Pie
Torta de Zanahoria (Carrot Pie)
Wash and scrape the carrots, and remove them from the water and cook
them in good meat broth, and being cooked remove them and chop them
small with the knife, adding to them mint and marjoram, and for each two
pounds of chopped carrots [use] a pound of Tronchon cheese and a pound
and a half of buttery Pinto cheese, and six ounces of fresh cheese, and
one ounce of ground pepper, one ounce of cinnamon, two ounces of candied
orange peel cut small, one pound of sugar, eight eggs, three ounces of
cow's butter, and from this composition make a torta with pastry above
and below, and the tart pan with pastry all around, and make it cook in
the oven, making the crust of sugar, cinnamon, and rosewater. In this
manner you can make tortas of all sorts of roots, such as that of
parsley, having taken the core out of them.
-- Diego Granado, Libro del Arte de Cozina, 1599

Redaction by Brighid ni Chairain:

15 lb. carrots, cooked and drained
1/4 lb. candied orange peel
3 lb. mozzarella, shredded
4 tsp. dried marjoram
6 lb monterey jack, shredded
2 handfuls fresh mint
1.5 lb. ricotta cheese
56 eggs, beaten
1.5 cups butter
18 batches pastry for 2-crust pie (preferably made with butter)
1/2 cup cinnamon
cinnamon sugar
2 c. sugar
rosewater

Preheat oven to 375 F. Combine all of the filling ingredients and mix
thoroughly. Place in the bottom crust. Put on the top crust, and seal
the edges well. Brush the top crust with rosewater, and sprinkle with
cinnamon sugar. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the crust is brown, and
the filling is set.