[Sca-cooks] haggis question

Stanza693 at wmconnect.com Stanza693 at wmconnect.com
Fri Jan 5 09:17:24 PST 2007

Warning:  Stupid, "new-cook" question follows...

I wonder how much of a leap it is from tripe to haggis?

p. 136 of "The Complete Book of Irish Country Cooking:  Traditional and
Wholesome Recipes from Ireland" by Darina Allen states...

"Tripe is mentioned frequently in the eleventh century tale Aislinge Meic Con
Glinne.  It was a common and regularly available commodity in the shops of
Cork City in 1649.  Tripe also featured as an important item in the diet of the
City's Franciscan friars throughout the eighteenth century."

The story she mentions is listed in her bibliography as being translated and
edited by Kenneth Jackson, published Dublin, 1991.

Does that help at all or are the dishes too far apart to make that leap?
Constanza