[Sca-cooks] Sugar Cane

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Fri Jan 5 15:34:35 PST 2007

Was written:

Yes, but as far as I can tell rum is post-period. Or does someone
> have contrary documentation?
> Stefan

Are we talking about what we know as rum or are we talking more widely about
distilled spirits based on fermented cane syrups.  These may not be the same
thing.  Does anyone know what is fermented and then distilled to create arak
from Turkey and Lebanon and ouzo from Greece?  They are clear spirits that
cloud when water is added.  Are there any early Indian/ subcontinent/Ceylon
distilled spirits based in fermented cane syrups?

Daniel