[Sca-cooks] Helloooo???

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 9 18:56:52 PST 2007

On Jan 9, 2007, at 8:31 PM, Heleen Greenwald wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2007, at 6:32 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>>  it sounds like it might have been a drunken chicken soup recipe
>> with dried orange or tangerine peel...
>
> That's it!! THAT;S THE ONE:  Please Master, Please post it again.
> (getting down on arthritc knees and begging....so you know I am
> serious)  It would be a mitzvah! <Thank you in advance!!>

I'm kind of hoping someone else has it saved (I can't seem to find it
either), because as I recall it was just a description I dashed off
on the spur of the moment. Basically what I'm remembering involved
simmering a cut-up chicken in approximately one quart of water per
pound of chicken, for about four hours, with a few slices of ginger,
a couple of whole scallions, dried orange or tangerine peel (maybe
one one-inch-by-three-inch piece, or two of them)  and some booze,
anything from rice wine or sherry to any of the Asian or Western
grain spirits, maybe 1/2 to 1 cup, salt and white pepper to taste at
the end, IIRC. Maybe also some reconstituted, dried black mushrooms
in there, too (which are kind of like the serious big brothers of
shiitakes).

Does that sound right?

>> If you can do a happy dance you're obviously a lot better, which is a
>> good thing. That particular ailment is not something I'd wish on my
>> worst enemy. Well, okay, maybe the Vice Pre... (did I use my outside
>> voice again?)
>
> Just say 'The Dark Lord'...We;ll know......  ;-)

My nephew's wife did some checking into her own family tree, only to
discover that TDL is apparently a distant cousin of hers (I assure
you she's a perfectly sweet young lady, in spite of this). Her
comment on this situation was that she was sure that she and Cousin
Dick had more areas on which they would agree than those on which
they would disagree... she just hadn't discovered what any of them
were, yet.

>> I suspect you might need something to give it a more variegated
>> texture, like sweet peppers (or, in fact, even chilis, maybe, if you
>> can eat them), or, failing that, something like celery. But I have
>> some rather heretical views on chili...
>>
> Of those choices, I like sweet peppers the best....
> and I would love to know your views on chili.  Would it be totally
> heretical for me to work up a tofu chili?  I made a tofu based stew
> once, which was very good. I wanted a savory, but not meat....

I'm not one of the legion of tofu's enemies, apart from generally
calling it bean curd, dowfu or 'owfu, as it's pronounced in my wife's
Chinese dialect. I've used it in a variety of rather unorthodox ways,
ranging from vegetarian Dirty Rice (in which ground, suitably
seasoned, extra-firm bean curd is subbed for the more traditional
ground pork and chicken livers), to a low-carb lasagne type dish, but
my favorite is still cubed and stir-fried with fermented black bean
sauce, ground pork, too much garlic and chili flakes. But I would not
necessarily sneer at a suitably Buddhist, meatless chili ;-).

I do think that when you say "chili", unqualified, it's a bit of a
dirty trick to hand someone a "bowl of red" with all kinds of non-
essential stuff in it, but that's probably just as much revisionist
history as the people sneering at various chowder types on the
grounds of an ill-informed preference for authenticity...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04