[Sca-cooks] galingale/galanga/galangal

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 11 03:51:50 PST 2007

On Jan 11, 2007, at 12:37 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I received this message today, which I will be placing in the
> Florilegium. However, I was under the impression that "galingale" was
> the same as "galanga or galangal", probably from, as Jason mentions,
> comments from this list.
>
> So can any one clarify this or refute one assertion or the other?

As I'm understanding them, there are no mutually exclusive assertions
being made, and no refutation needed. There are plants found in the
far East, rhizomes related to ginger, used as a spice, known
collectively as galingale, distinguished as Greater and Lesser
galingale, used in the cookery of China and Southeast Asia,
particularly Indonesia, under names like galanga, kencur and laos. To
me, they taste a little like ginger and a lot like eucalyptus. This
is the galingale generally referred to medieval English recipes,
clearly seen as a spice (IOW, a flavoring to be used in small
quantities) and listed both in recipes and shipping records with
other valuable Eastern imports.

The sedge often referred to as galingale is indeed a European plant
that is edible, but as far as I know, its edible portion is more
tuberous and starchy. I believe this is the wild vegetable known in
English as galingale, but in French as souchet and amandes de terre.
It's used as food, yes, but although aromatic, not as a spice, and
not in the same way as the medieval English cook's galingale. I'd be
very interested in seeing evidence indicating that souchet is the
galingale referred to in, say, The Forme of Cury, because there's at
least a fair amount of circumstantial evidence that it is not; the
only evidence I have seen that suggests it might be is the mere fact
that this European plant exists and is called by a similar name
(maybe because the tubers look vaguely like the rhizomes); I'm
certainly not aware of any recipes that instruct the cook to go and
dig up some galingale from the kitchen garden, while there are
probably at least a hundred that list it in the same category as
ginger, pepper, grains of paradise, etc.

FWIW, the 1985 "American" edition of the Larousse Gastronomique has
an article about galingale, the sedge  (I pulled it out because I
recalled it having a neat little picture of it and everything, but
apparently I was mistaken on the photo thing; I know I've seen one
somewhere).

Hope this helps...

Adamantius