[Sca-cooks] Santa bring any cool cooking stuff?

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 15 19:23:22 PST 2007

>No particular Santa, and i don't expect any gifts at Twelfth Night, but...

To my surprise, i got two Twelfth Night gifts.

One friend has a Japanese alternate persona and she and i go out for
sushi and watch Japanese movies (i got her hooked a couple of my
favorites, "Ugetsu" and "Kwaidan", both Japanese ghost stories). She
gave me a lovely, clearly hand made, Japanese style, large tea
ceremony cup - it has character - with slightly uneven texture and
glaze.

Another friend found a hard-cover edition of Claudia Roden's first
Middle Eastern cookbook. I had an early paperback edition and after
around 35 years the paper was going to hell - turning brown and very
brittle - and i'd mentioned that to her. So that was wonderful.

>My daughter just visited. She knit me a scarf and bought me a book
>that hasn't arrived yet, "The Ethnomusicologists' Cookbook", which is
>made up of essays by ethnomusicologists discussing food and
>food-related rituals in cultures quite different from their own, and
>includes a few recipes.
>[http://www.amazon.com/Ethnomusicologists-Cookbook-Sean-Williams/dp/041597819X]
>(for those who are not sure, an ethnomusicologist is basically an
>anthropologist who studies music)

And "The Ethnomusicologists' Cookbook" arrived in the mail. It's much
more foody than the write up lets on. Each "chapter" includes an
intro to the author, a menu and recipes for a complete meal, an essay
about food and music, a small selection of recommended recordings,
and a small selection of additional reading. It includes food from
several parts of Africa, Asia, the Pacific, South America, North
America, and Europe.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita