[Sca-cooks] Burger battle brewing between Cponnecticut and Texas

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jan 16 15:12:42 PST 2007

Actually the two volumes came out in 2004.
It's titled  The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink.
(Why some books by Oxford are encyclopedias and others are companions
is one of those obscure and arcane questions? I think it has to do with
driving on
the left.)
Anyway Andy Smith indicates the origins are vague.
Hamburg steak was on Delmonico's menu as early as 1834. That may be the
NYC claim. Hamburgers were sold from a lunch wagon in New Haven
by 1900, hence CT has that claim. Also claims go with accounts from
Wisconsin, St Louis World's Fair, and Texas, all dating from roughly the
1900-1904
date.

Johnnae