[Sca-cooks] Murri

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 18 14:18:36 PST 2007

Adamantius wrote:
>Pisalat is alive and well and living in Nice, Marseilles, etc. That's
>a little more like halec than liquamen (IOW, a paste rather than a
>clear liquid), I guess, but the process is pretty much the same and
>the flavor is similar.

I guess that's one of the reasons i love Southern French food so
much... all those little "rotted" fish sneaking into so many savory
dishes.

See, i've got a computer folder for modern recipes. In it i've got
sensible folders, such as (but far from a complete list):
Dairy
Eggy
Nutty
Tofu
Meaty (in which i have red meat, fowl, and piscatory delights)

... And i have a separate folder called "Anchovies!"

>I had forgotten about the allegations of murri (or its ingredients)
>being carcinogenic, but somehow missed the details on why this turns
>out to be untrue.

Lemme look at the LA Times texts. My recollection is that Perry sent
his murri out to be tested, ISTR, for aflatoxins...

>I know that consumption of  the solid cakes that
>are a by-product of soy sauce production has been linked to China
>having the highest per capita incidence of stomach cancer in the
>world. Has that been disproven as well?

AFAIK, this is still true. Of course, the Japanese also make soy
sauce, and i haven't heard they have a parallel problem there, but
maybe it just hasn't been as widely reported.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita