[Sca-cooks] Atlantian Twelfth Night Feast

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 26 16:33:08 PST 2007

Kiri answered my question with:
<<<
> Were these apple slices naturally sour? Or were they sour because
> they were pickled like the kraut? If the former, what apple types
> would be sour and where would you find such apples?

I suspect that they were naturally sour...I have achieved a similar
flavor
in dishes of all sorts by using Granny Smith apples.  They have a
naturally
tart flavor that works well, particularly in German dishes.>>>

Ah, okay.  When I hear "sour" it makes me think of lemons or vinegar.
To me, "tart" is much milder, such as you mention for Granny Smith
apples. Granny Smith apples are commonly available in my grocery
store, so these weren't some unusual type of apple I'm going to need
to hunt down.

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------