[Sca-cooks] white sauce?

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 31 08:46:47 PST 2007

Cailte wrote:
> well, estrella is on its way, and with the grey water
> disposal problem at the site, i am doing everything i can
> to avoid washing dishes.  that translates into grilling
> and boiling bags this year.
>
> However, dear heart just scored about a dozen jars of
> hormel chipped beef for $1.20 each at walmart.  (yes
> indeedy, DANG good price!)  now he is wanting to know if i
> can do SOS for breakfast at war.   i see huge gooey cream
> sauce pots dancing around, refusing to get clean without
> copious amounts of water.
>
> so the question is:  can you make and freeze white cream
> sauce successfully?  has any one tried?  if so, i can boil
> in bag it.
If it were I, I would just make a sauce there and just paper-towel out
the saucepan before washing.  Or maybe find a decent sauce or gravy in a
jar. Or else change the sauce entirely.  How about sour cream?  It's
already thick and tasty, not too likely to spoil en route - what's going
to happen, it's already sour innit?  Kind of a "stroganoff" effect
tastewise.

In the same boat, Selene