[Sca-cooks] Spices in England

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 1 10:21:00 PST 2007

Sugar use in general expanded during the 15th Century due to greater
production.  Greater availability and some reduction in price increased the
demand which lead to the expansion in production in the Caribbean  with all
of the attendent goods and ills.  The rise of the Antwerp sugar market,
which dominated the Northern European sugar trade, and a direct trading
compact between Antwerp and Cologne, tremendously expanded the use of sugar
in Central Europe.  IIRC, the currently definitive work on the subject has
been done by a gentleman named Harrell.

By the end of the 16th Century, the increased production of sugar worldwide
caused the prices to fall in relation to inflation and the cost of other
goods moving it from a luxury good to an expensive commodity.  I don't have
my copy of Braudel's series on Civilization and Capitalism handy, but I
remember that he provides an overview of the sugar trade between the 15th
and 18th Centuries that is a little more accessible than some other sources.

Bear