[Sca-cooks] Sugar WAS Spices in England

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Jan 1 16:50:36 PST 2007

Was asked:

I've only seen pieces of sugar cane a few times in my life. I suspect
the total length of what I've seen in the grocery store would only be
a couple of feet. So where would you find raw sugar cane today? Other
than perhaps flying to Hawaii?

Nearest to Texas that I'm sure of is Louisiana.  They grow it in south
Florida also.  I seem to remember that it was being grown in South Carolina
in the late 50's when I was a very small child.  I suspect that it might be
grown in Mexico as well.  If you are willing to fly and trudge through the
paper work you could try Cuba.  Perhaps Fidel might rise from his bier and
in passing give you a foot or two.  :-)

Daniel