[Sca-cooks] Sugar WAS Spices in England

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 1 20:33:06 PST 2007

On 1/1/07 2:46 PM, "Stefan li Rous" <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Sharon asked:
> <<< Has anyone on the list ever made sugar from sugar cane or sugar
> beets?  How
> did it go?  >>>
>
> I've only seen pieces of sugar cane a few times in my life. I suspect
> the total length of what I've seen in the grocery store would only be
> a couple of feet. So where would you find raw sugar cane today? Other
> than perhaps flying to Hawaii?

In certain neighborhoods of Los Angeles, I've seen it sold from trucks along
with other produce.  It came in lengths longer than the height of a tall
man, one could bring one to tourney and use it as a marshall's staff.  Hmm,
there's an amusing notion?

Thank you for the pointer to the sugar articles, I will have to read them.
How hard could it be?  Chewing on a piece of sugar cane give you a mouthfull
of sweet juice, a simple mill would yield plenty of sugar to boil and dry in
the sun.  Perchance, some of the stone mills found in ancient digs in
cane-growing lands were not just for grain?  Just an idle notion.

Yours for a sweet new year,
Selene