[Sca-cooks] Cooking Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 05:41:02 PST 2007

I think that's what most of us were trying to do.  Several of us did point
you to places on the Web where you can find period recipes.  It's not that
we're trying to be rude...we just want to be able to help you in a way that
will be useful to you.  Also, as you asked about materials that are
copyrighted, it appeared to us that you were gathering material to publish a
book of period recipes...and if you published work that we have done, and
you copyrighted it, that would mean that we would not be able to benefit
from our own work!  We have had things like that happen...some time back,
Emeril used material he got from Duke Cariadoc's Web site on his show
without giving David Friedman any credit for it at all (Cariadoc is David's
SCA persona).

We did ask questions in an effort to figure out how best to help you.
Firstly, we're dealing with a time frame of 500 - 700 years, and foods
really did change in that length of time.  In addition, we're talking about
cultures that range from northern Europe through the Middle East to the Far
East...and there are folks on this list who specialize in various times and
places.  Finally, we wanted to find out your level of experience with
cooking...are you an expert chef...or someone who doesn't know how to boil
water.  Our problem was that yu never answered our questions...in fact, you
still haven't answered them!

Probably the best place to go for information, if you just want to browse
information about period cooking...and see some redactions of period
recipes, you can try Stefan's Florilegium (www.florilegium.org).  If you
look in the 'Foods' section, you will find all kinds of information about
period cooking...from how to read and redact (taking a period recipe,
figuring out quantities and directions on how to cook a dish) recipes to
specifics about food history, etc.

We are here to help...we all work together and there's a vast store of
knowledge amongst the denizens of this list...there are professional chefs,
published authors in food history, etc.  And all of this is available to
you.  Just please don't yell at us..which is what most of us interpret words
in all caps as being...not to mention all those exclamation marks.

So.  Is there a particular cuisine or time period you're interested in?  Are
you collecting recipes in order to publish them as a
collection/cookbook...and is this why you are concerned about copyright?
Are you an experienced cook or just starting out?  When you answer our
questions, we'll be better equipped to help you.

Kiri