[Sca-cooks] Caribou! (was Re: Half an outcast! St. Nick?)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Jan 3 06:15:52 PST 2007

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> I've not eaten reindeer, but I have had caribou...it was made up into
> sausage, and was part of breakfast at a restaurant in Seward, Alaska.  IIRC,
> there really wasn't a big difference in taste between that and venison.  It
> was very tasty, if a little dry.  We also had elk steaks while in
> Alaska...they were wonderful!
>
> Kiri

Both caribou and reindeer are subspecies of /Rangifer tarandus/, so in
eating caribou you've pretty much also eaten reindeer.

"Rudolph the red-nosed caribou", having that one extra syllable, just
doesn't scan as nicely as "Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer", though. ;-)

Do we have any period recipes specifically for reindeer?

Margaret FitzWilliam