[Sca-cooks] Gilded gingerbread query

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 4 13:30:48 PST 2007

On Jan 3, 2007, at 9:12 PM, David Friedman wrote:

> A corespondent put this question to me and wanted me to post it to
> the list:
> ---
> I wanted to ask if you could perhaps shed any light on the origin of
> the phrase "to gild the gingerbread?" and whether, to your knowledge,
> gold leaf is still much used as food decoration?

Well, bearing in mind that gingerbread was sometimes, in the Middle
Ages, in that same grey area between food and medicine that sugar-
coated spices often occupied, and bearing in mind that for a long
time silver and gold leaf was used to roll pills (and is still used
for preparing betel nuts for consumption in India today, but they
call it gold or silver vark), _and_ the fact that some modern Persian
and Indian food (as well as some rather nouvelle-type desserts) are
still sometimes presented with decorations of edible gold and silver,
I suspect that there's probably quite a lot of circumstantial
evidence that at least some gingerbread was actually gilded
(sometimes with actual gold, and perhaps sometimes with sweetened,
saffron-enhanced egg wash)

I wish I had better hard evidence to offer, but I'd have to dig it up
specifically for this discussion.

Pure gold and silver are edible, you can buy them in Indian groceries
today, and I've also seen them in various forms in high-end cake
decorating supply houses -- those lovely but weird little edible gold
and silver jimmies you can buy, were once made with real gold or
silver, plus you can get leaf/foil (which I haven't the patience or
manual dexterity to work with), and powdered gold or silver which can
be mixed with sugar syrup, egg whites, or a gum solution to create
edible gold or silver paint that actually does appear metallic --
because it is ;-).

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782