[Sca-cooks] Question about flour

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 5 07:21:21 PST 2007

>Thanks to both Adamantius and Gianotta for their responses.  My problem is
>that I haven't been able to find any kind of semolina flour in the town
>where I live...I'm kind of out in the "boonies"...I could order it online,
>but I doubt it would get here in time for me to make the cookies for our
>event on Jan 13!  I was just wondering what the effect might be if I used
>regular flour instead.  But from what you guys are saying, I probably
>shouldn't even try unless I have semolina flour.  Maybe I'll go onlline and
>see if I can find the flour you menton, Gianotta!
>
>Kiri

Kiri,

Try Bob's Red Mill, I think they ship pretty fast:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=express

If they can't, use the unbleached white flour and don't worry about it, especially if the cookies are supposed to be iced or something that would hide their color anyway. Yes, the texture won't be the same, you will have to add less liquid. Will you share the cookie recipe with us? I'm really curious to see if they are at all similar to the Sicilian cookie, or if the name is coincidental. Since Sicilian cooking was so heavily influenced by Arabic cooking, it'd be interesting to see if the Arabic sweet was adapted to a Christian purpose!

Gianotta