[Sca-cooks] [OOP] Blood orange joke, was: Re: Candied Citrus Peel

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 6 07:26:49 PST 2007

On Jan 6, 2007, at 1:40 AM, Volker Bach wrote:

> Am Freitag, 5. Januar 2007 22:38 schrieb silverr0se at aol.com:
>> Here in Los Angeles we can only
>> get California oranges, most Navel, along with the occassional blood
>> orange.
>
> Ah, blood orange aka red orange...
>
> apropos of nothing other than me sitting home with the cold and the
> gf off to
> a musical meeting with her old scout group: one of my favourites
> from the
> Landmann collection.
>
> London, first half of the twentieth century. A greengrocer's shop.
> Enter a
> recently immigrated lady from Central Europe.
>
> Lady: "Gutt mornink. I vould like some bloody oranges."
>
> Grocer: "I beg your pardon, madam?"
>
> L: "Some bloody oranges. I vould like to buy two pounds of bloody
> oranges."
>
> G (thinking hard what she could mean): "For juice?"
>
> L: "Oy, Gevalt! Here, too?" (leaves in a huff).
>
> Giano

And for the somewhat more academically inclined fans of old-style
ethnic humor, there was a favorite of my father's (which tells you a
lot more about him than you probably needed to know):

[Scene: Tailor shop in Athens]

Tailor (to customer entering with torn pair of pants): Euripides?
Customer: Yes. Eumenides?

The actual joke here is that my father, in whose time and culture it
was both acceptable and actively encouraged (think of Hammett's "The
Thin Man", or Hollywood's recurring Park Ukarkis character, or listen
to some Spike Jones novelty music to get the merest scratching of the
tip of the iceberg of what I mean), he was fond of this type of
humor, and did not live to discover that his own father had changed
his name, a common practice among German-speaking Americans before
and during the First World War, and had in fact been the son of
Austrian immigrants who had arrived in Austria from Greece in the
18th century...

Adamantius?
Yes. Eumenides?

eat cake!"