[Sca-cooks] 12th Night 2007 Stories

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 7 05:37:11 PST 2007

On Jan 7, 2007, at 7:12 AM, Celia des Archier wrote:

> hmmmm...
>
> any possibility of getting a recipe for the littiu?

This is interesting. Oats have been eaten in semi-solidified form for
thousands of years, and I gather from looking at the stuff saved in
the Florilegium that this is just oats and milk, cooked as a thick
porridge and allowed to cool somewhat, so I'm not questioning this as
a dish, per se. But if our knowledge of what this is/consists of is
sorta sketchy, why use this obviously Celtic name? Is it just an
Irish word for oats? Why is it not just oatmeal or porridge, or
flummery, or what distinguishes it from them? Is it that the name has
emerged from Irish poetry and people have felt the need to come up
with a functional "recipe" to match it, and this is what it is?

Just trying to understand the reasoning process...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04