[Sca-cooks] 12th Night 2007 Stories

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 7 08:05:28 PST 2007

"Littiu" is the Early Irish form of "lit" and essentially means porridge.
It is related to the Welsh, "llith" which means mash.  It is perfectly
reasonable that an Early Irish persona would use the term for whatever
recipe of porridge they chose to make.

While there are a number of literary references, the one I remember most
commonly mentioned is from the Tain Bo Chulainn to the effect that it is the
porridge of the little boy that has made such a great warrior of the man.
The Irish lived on their cattle and the common grains in Ireland were oats
and barley, so oat and milk porridge would likely be common in Ancient
Ireland.  As oats are the highest in protein of any of the cereals, a
porridge of oats and milk would be a very nutritional dish suitable for the
sons of kings.

I would suspect that the recipe is a derivation from various sources and
that the accuracy depends on the quality of the research.

Bear