[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium article for January

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 10 21:19:56 PST 2007

Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for January, detailing what
is new in the Florilegium this month.

If you would like to see a file on a subject not currently covered in
the Florilegium, please let me know and I'll see if I can find enough
information to create a message file on that subject or see if I can
convince someone to write an article.

If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this
article several weeks in advance so you can publish it, please
contact me for more details. I also write a version of this letter
meant for publication on websites. Again, if you run an SCA oriented
website and would like to get a copy of the web article each month,
please contact me.

Thanks,
Stefan
--------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for
more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
details.

For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in
another way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of
the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the
overhead costs of keeping the site running.  As I was laid off in
May, any amount would help me keep this site going.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the CLOTHING section:
    underwear-lnks       Links to information on medieval
                            unmentionables, underpinnings, hosen,
                            corsets by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the ENTERTAINMENT section:
    Hazard-Craps-art     "Hazard and Craps" by Dagonell the Juggler.
In the FEASTS section
    kitchn-safety-msg    Kitchen safety for SCA feasts.
In the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
    lea-cook-uten-msg    Leather cooking vessels and utensils.
In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
    Bagpip-Dsguis-art    “Disguising Modern Bagpipes” by Karl Krampf.
In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
    nutmeg-mace-msg      Info on the spices nutmeg and mace.
In the TRAVEL section:
    Dog-Carts-art        "Dog Carts and Draft Dog Training:
                            Directions to Convert a European Style
                            Hand Wagon into a "Period" Dog Wagon" by
                            Lady Rachael of Bhakail.

Here are some of the updated files.
    books-food-msg       Books about food. Not cookbooks.
    cb-rv-Apicius-msg    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
    cook-flowers-msg     Cooking with flowers. Medieval flower dishes
    Cornwall-msg         Cornish history and food.
    custards-msg         Period custards, custard tarts and pies.
    fd-Romans-msg        Food of Classical Rome. Apicius.
    fd-Russia-msg        Russian food. Russian cookbooks.
    gifts-4-staff-msg    Gift suggestions for members of the event
                            stewards or headcooks staff.
    meat-smoked-msg      Medieval smoked meats. Smoking meats.
    p-agriculture-msg    Period agriculture. References.
    pretzels-msg         Period pretzels and pretzel-like breads.
    querns-msg           Small hand mills for grinding grains.
    SCA-royalty-msg      SCA Royalty and what they should be.
    sugar-msg            Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
    West-hist-msg        Histories of the West Kingdom.
    wine-cooking-msg     Cooking wines. Substitutions.
---
Copyright 2007, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted
if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com