[Sca-cooks] Cold weather foods

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Jan 15 18:00:23 PST 2007

Stuck inside because of weather is pretty relative, here, as you'd probably
remember from your years in Montana, Papa.... Unless it's 30 or 40 below,
I'm only a 10 min. walk to the grocery store, too, so it's generally
laziness or illness that keeps me indoors.
In weather like this (cold, clear, windy), I like to make things in the
oven, so that end of the house gets heated up (not just a cheap mentality,
so much as piss-poor placement of the heating stove).  Casseroles that I can
eat on all week, that sort of thing.  My favorite is an Auld One handed down
from my Grandma that has hamburger, bell pepper, tomatoes, macaroni, cheese,
and Lutheran Binder in it.  Oh, and durkee's fried onions.
I also make soup--been thinking of a big pot of navy-bean-and-ham.  Or maybe
jambalaya, that I'll share with my neighbors.  I use Zateran's mix for it,
but add in shrimp and chicken and andouille.  Apparently, I pass my neighbor
Nancy's brother's test for okay jambalaya (even if I am a Yankee through and
through) because I simmer the chicken first, and use the broth for the rice.
(Nancy's from N.O.)
A friend made a tasty-sounding stew with beef, numerous winter root veggies,
lots of merlot, and a bunch of olives, and invited me over this weekend, but
I passed, since I can't have the merlot.  She said it was very good,
though...
I made mushroom soup in my crockpot last weekend, using every kind of
mushroom I could find.  Yummers, although it *needed* just a touch of sherry
to finish it....
I'm also getting a hankering for peanut curry, although I'm out of coconut
milk....mmmmm.....
I don't have a human person of the appropriate gender to cuddle with, but
four cats do quite nicely hogging most of the bed.  Although, I've noticed
that we're generally one big lump, the five of us, on really cold nights....
--Maire