[Sca-cooks] Atlantian Twelfth Night Feast

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jan 16 16:50:17 PST 2007

Thanks for the feast writeup. It sounds like a great meal.
As for pastries, I think training and practice go a long ways towards
being able to create these sort of things. If you make
pastries for a living and are trained in pastries, then one would
hope that you could make uniform pastries by the hundreds.
Also one probably tosses out or keeps behind all the less than perfect
ones, whereas with the Society, we are serving every last one because
of the budget and cost of food. Also just because they were perfect at home
doesn't mean that they stay perfect at the event. Who hasn't had a
transportation
mishap or a kitchen mishap when the subtletie or pastry was
inadvertently damaged?
And it's a matter of equipment and
making do with less than the needed molds or pans or even the cutters.
Who buys that equipment for their home use? Also we tend to be
overburdened with all the other things that have to be done.
Can we spend that much time on one dish when we need to
also be creating another 12 or 15 dishes for the four courses.
We work full-time at other jobs and try and create these feasts
on weekends in sometimes sub-par environments with enthusiastic
but often unskilled help. I think we are lucky at times to ever see
a meal put on the table at all.

Johnnae