[Sca-cooks] Leeds Symposium-Updated Post

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 17 04:31:15 PST 2007

Greetings! The flyer finally came for the 21 April 2007 Leeds Symposium on
Food History and Traditions. It will be held in York, England, again. The
fee is J15 (15 British pounds) and the topic is "A Variety of Feasts".

Speakers are Eileen White ("A Great Feast: Aspects of Archbishop Neville's
Inthroization Feast, 1465 and beyond"; Gillian Riley ("Feasting in Art: How
visual evidence can illuminate other sources of information about feasts
and banquets"; Mark Dawson ("A well-earned repast: a workers' reward feast
at Middleton, Warwickshire, in 1567"); Ivan Day ("Feasting with King James
II: Coronation feasts as propaganda"); and Margaret Poole ("A Civic Feast
to promote the Great Exhibition of 1851").

Rather than clutter up a post with instructions on sending in a reservation
(by surface mail only!), I will send instructions and mailing information
privately upon request.  There is a notation that international guests
could pay when they arrive at the Symposium. Anne Wilson appended a note
that people needed to get the registration in by 30 March (and it takes a
few days to get to England).  She wrote "We are now very pressed for space
and last year had to refuse several late applicants."

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/